Founded in 1916 and headquartered in Munich, BMW produces BMW and Rolls-Royce vehicles. A charter member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Environmental Achievement Track, BMW is a leader in applying environmentally-friendly concepts into the design and manufacture of its vehicles. With a goal of reducing fuel emissions, the company is working to improve the fuel efficiency of its gas-powered vehicles and researching such other forms of power as electric, hybrid and hydrogen in planning for vehicles of the future.
In 2015, there were 1,933,647 BMW vehicles manufactured and 1,905,234 sold.
Since the 1990s, BMW has produced a number of compact, mid- and full-size cars, wagons and SUVs, including:
1. E36 3 Series convertible, compact sedan, coupe, hatchback, wagon.
2. E36/7, E36/8 Z3 two-seat convertible, coupe.
3. E38 7 Series large sedan.
4. E39 5 Series mid-size sedan, wagon.
5. E46 3 Series compact convertible, coupe, sedan, hatchback, wagon.
6. E52 Z8 two-seat convertible.
7. E53 X5 mid-size SUV.
1. E60, E61 5 Series mid-size sedan, wagon.
2. E63, E64 6 Series mid-size convertible, coupe.
3. E65, E66, E67, E68 7 Series large sedan.
4. E70 X5 mid-size SUV.
5. E71, E72 X6 mid-size crossover.
6. E81, E82, E87, E88 1 Series three-door hatchback, five-door hatchback, convertible, coupe.
7. E84 X1 compact crossover (to present.)
8. E89 Z4 two-seat convertible.
9. E90, E91, E92, E93 3 Series compact convertible, coupe, sedan.
10. F01, F02, F03, F04 7 Series large sedan.
11. F07, F10, F11, F18 5 Series mid-size fastback, sedan, wagon.
1. F06, F12, F13 6 Series mid-size two-door convertible, coupe, four-door coupe.
2. F15 X5 mid-size SUV.
3. F16 X6 mid-size crossover.
4. F20, F21, F52 1 Series three-door, five-door hatchback, four-door sedan.
5. F22, F23, F45, F46 2 Series compact convertible, coupe, compact MPV.
6. F25 X3 compact SUV.
7. F26 X4 compact crossover SUV.
8. F30, F31, F34, F35 3 Series compact fastback, sedan, wagon.
9. F32, F33 4 Series convertible, coupe.
10. F48, F49 X1 compact SUV.
11. G11, G12, 7 Series large sedan.
12. G30, G31 5 Series sedan, wagon.
13. 101 i3 electric five-door hatchback.
14. 112 i8 electric sports car.
In recent years, BMW experienced a couple problems with its vehicles. In 2012, some cars were stolen with blank keys that had been programmed to start the vehicles. This resulted from the lack of authorization and authentication of the on-board diagnostics (OBD.) New vehicles now feature upgraded software that prevents this vulnerability.
Vehicles manufactured between March 2010 and December 2014 can potentially be remotely opened. Updates were made available to solve this issue.
If you’ve experienced one of these problems with your BMW or need other work done on your vehicle, our expert mechanics are trained to provide you with whatever repair service your car needs. Contact us today at (336) 331 – 3448 for a free estimate with Winston-Salem’s premier auto repair shop, Cloverdale Auto.